Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Trailer Released

I just watched the newly released trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and I wanted to make some comments on it based on my first impressions. You can watch the trailer on Youtube here.

First of all, I must say that I've been waiting with great anticipation for this trailer for months. I loved the first movie of The Hobbit trilogy and this second one looks like it will be just as amazing. In the trailer, we get to see more awesome scenery from New Zealand, more of Bilbo and the dwarves, more of Gandalf and Radagast, more of basically everything you would want to see in a trailer for this film.

Furthermore, the trailer showcases some new music which is different from either the previous Hobbit movie or The Lord of the Rings trilogy which is great. We get to see different locations and characters which if you saw the sneak peek of Desolation of Smaug with Peter Jackson you'll be familiar with. Specifically, Legolas, Bard the Bowman and Tauriel are all shown as well as Thranduil who appeared in the first film.

The forces of evil also appear here including Azog the Defiler, the Necromancer (though he's not really seen in any detail) and even Smaug the dragon. Unfortunately, this is where my one problem with the trailer lies. The end scene with Smaug looked very unrealistic to me. You really lose your immersion in the trailer when you see this part because you can tell almost immediately that Smaug doesn't look all that real, nor does the background that he's in (the treasure). Perhaps there's only one shot that's like this (i.e. the shot looked this way because Smaug wasn't illuminated or something else), but it really reduced the experience for me.

With that being said, the rest of the trailer is completely awesome and I'm really excited to see the movie. In addition, Peter Jackson did some video blogs for the first movie, and he announced that he was going to be doing them for this movie as well (so you don't have to wait until December to see more of The Hobbit), so I'm definitely looking forward to those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment